Rolling Stock owned by or associated with the LMMR
Picture Year Built Class, Number and name
Details
Location
1906 by Avonside
0-4-0 no. 1498 'Desmond'

'Desmond' was kindly donated to us by the National Museums and Galleries of Wales, Cardiff. This loco is a long term restoration project and was moved to the Llangollen Railway, North Wales in May 2006 to undergo a full restoration, which was funded by a Heritage Lottery Fund grant. This locomotive spent it's working life at the Orb Steelworks, Newport which still operates to this day. After retirement in the 1970's the loco was kept at the ill-fated Caerphilly Railway until finding itself at the narrow-gauge Teifi Valley Railway where it was kept as a static exhibit.

Three Primary Schools in Llanelli (Swiss valley, Five Roads and Felinfoel) have been engaged in carrying out projects on the history of the LMMR in conjunction with the restoration of Desmond, and two schools in Llangollen and Yale College, Wrexham have also carried out projects on the actual restoration of the engine. It is possible that the work being carried out by the pupils and students can form the basis of an exhibition to be set up in the wooden carriages at a later date.

1965 by Sentinel
0-4-0DH no. 10222 'Peter J Griffiths'

 

This diesel shunter is currently our yard pilot and is operational. It was donated to the LMMR in 2001 by Hanson Aggregates of Machen Quarry. It had previously worked at Hirwaun stone Quarry. As a thank you to Hanson for donation we have painted her in full Hanson Aggregates livery. The shunter is also named 'Peter J Griffiths' as a thank you to the local historian and writer who has supported our project financially in recent times. The shunter is vacuum fitted.

 

1956 by Ruston & Hornsby
0-4-0 88DS no. 394014

 

After a working career at the Metal Box factory in Neath, this DS88 shunter was preserved by the Vale of Neath Railway and stored at their former base before being moved to the Gwili Railway in the 1990s. It requires mainly bodywork repairs but mechanically it is in good order and is close to being made operational again. It will provide an important part of our traction fleet and a more than adequate back-up to our Sentinel shunter.

 

Owned by VoNR

1958 by Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Works
Class 122 - 960015 - 55019 (975042)

Built in 1958, this unit spent the first part of her career as a Midland Region passenger unit, being based at Tyseley but she also had a brief spell on the Western Region at Cardiff Canton. Affectionately known as 'Bubble cars' these single units were ideal for branch line services. This particular unit though was to spend only 12 years in passenger service before becoming a departmental vehicle, gaining the number 975042 and became a route learning unit. The latter part of her career saw her become a Railtrack and then a Network Rail sandite unit, used to spray a sticky paste to rails to assist trains with rail adhesion during times of high leaf fall. It fell out of use with Network Rail in 2007 and was stored at the Chiltern Railways fleet base at Aylesbury in a stored serviceable state, during which time it passed into the ownership of Chiltern Railways. It remained here until September 2011 when it was moved to Tyseley Railway Museum pending developments.

It is planned that the unit is to be completely renovated internally and externally and will be one of our principle passenger carrying vehicles. The unit was heavily modified internally during her time as a departmental vehicle and therefore presents itself to us as a blank canvas and allows a large amount of flexibility in what we are able to do with it. Where possible it will be returned to an original state. We will also make it wheelchair accessible to comply with modern requirements. The external condition of the unit is excellent, with only a small amount of remedial bodywork required. It has not yet been decided what livery the unit will be painted into, but BR Green with speed whiskers is the most likely.

 

1973
MK. 2 RFB 1st Class Buffet Car no. 1206

 

This coach was purchased from HSBC rail at MOD Kineton in 2006. It came out of service in 2002 after the introduction of Voyager units on Virgin services before being briefly stored at LNWR at Crewe. It spent it's life on Cross Country services from Brighton and the south of England to Manchester and as far north as Scotland in the formation of Class 47 and Class 86 loco-hauled services. This is to become our on-site cafè until the main heritage centre is constructed. The coach incorporates disabled access together with wheelchair adaptation. The cost was covered by an extremely kind donation from the road building company Costain. Many thanks go to Costain for their assistance in the acquisition of this coach. It is in excellent condition and requires little restoration, however the bodywork is in the process of being rubbed down for a full repaint.

 

Pre-1900
GWR built former 6-wheel Lavatory composite carriage. Number is unknown.

Recovered from an area of Llanelli known locally as Swindon these carriages were recovered from Bynea where they were in use as a family home. They started out as broad gauge vehicles in the late 1800s before being converted to the conventional gauge. They were withdrawn in the 1930s by GWR before being sold to Llanelli residents. A makeshift roof and fireplace was built between them and the occupants used the carriages as a dwelling for a number of years. In latter years a more traditional house was built adjacent to the carriages and their use then turned to garden sheds. They were removed in 2003 following the death of the owner and subsequent donation to the LMMR by the owner's family.

They are long-term restoration projects and will require a large amount of funding in order to bring either or both of these back into a railworthy state, but we remain positive that one day we will be able to restore them to their former glory. We are not aware of any similar vehicles to be preserved so therefore we believe these examples of GWR history to be unique.

Pre-1900
GWR built former 6-wheel composite carriage with luggage compartment. Number is unknown.
1919
GWR 'Bloater A' Fish Van no. 2135.
This van was a Type A Bloater fish van constructed for the Great Western Railway in 1919. Following withdrawal from frontline service it became a pooley van, seeing use as a tool and mess van at Swansea Docks. Following preservation in the early 1990s by the Vale of Neath Railway the van spent some time at their former operating base at Tonna before movement to the Gwili Railway in 1994.

Owned by VoNR

1951
No. BR B 951287
This LNER BR brakevan arrived in April 2013 from storage at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre at Quainton Road and was purchased from our sister railway the Garw Valley Railway, Pontycymmer. This van is no stranger to heritage railways in South Wales having been an important member of the Vale of Glamorgan rolling stock up until 2009.
1948-1949
No. DW 35377 ZTO
This former GWR 'Toad' brakevan was acquired in 2005 from Allied, Steel and Wire in Cardiff courtesy of donation by English, Welsh and Scottish Railway where it was used on site as a re-railing vehicles for a number of years. Prior to this it saw the latter days on the main line as a departmental vehicle based at Worcester and before that was a brake vehicle on GWR and BR freight services. Currently the rotten wooden panels have been removed from the van in readiness for replacement with new panels.
1939
NCB 48325
This tar wagon was built in 1939 by the Cambrian Wagon company and as it's name suggests was used to transport quantities of tar. After main line use it was restricted to internal duties at the Caerphilly Tar Plant where a number of similar vehicles were recovered and sold to prevation outfits. This particular wagon ended up at The Gwili Railway where it was deemed surplus to requirement and passed into the pwnership of the LMMR in 2001. Following a period of storage at DSDC Llangennech it was moved to Cynheidre in 2007.
1950
NCB 40229

Both of these sister tar wagons ended up at the Caerphilly Tar Plant following retirement from front line use, however they moved to the Cwm Coking Plant, Beddau in the 1980s where they become internal user tanks. The plant closed in the early 2000s and the tanks had lay out of use for many years before this. The tankers were very kindly donated by CPL Industries. The tanks, which had lay on a bed of mud for at least 20+ years posed a potential issue to remove but thanks to assistance from both CPL employees and Allelys Heavy Haulage the tanks were recovered to Cynheidre in September 2011.

1950
NCB 40225
Unknown
Unknown
This is a former 4-wheel steel tippler. Little is known about the origin of the vehicle but it was purchased from The Gwili Railway in 2001 along with the tar wagon and was stored at DSDC Llangennech before being moved to Cynheidre in 2007. In the process of being converted to a flat-bed wagon, this vehicle will form part of our permanent way fleet to assist in track repairs.

© All images and material contained within this
website are Copyright The Llanelli and Mynydd Mawr
Railway Company Limited 1999-2012

Company Registration Number 3753219
Registered Charity Number 1087985